Meghan Markle thanks US Gun Safety action group "Moms Demand Action"
In the week that a bipartisan coalition of US Senators have agreed on the legislative text that might result in a new gun safety, mental health and school safety bill, and which if passed, will be the first major gun safety law in America in nearly 26 years, Meghan wrote a short personal note (accompanied by snacks) to the founder and the volunteers at the Moms Demand Action organization, thanking them as a mother for the hours that they have all dedicated to this cause.
Moms Demand Action was founded by Shannon Watts in December 2012, a day after the Sandy Hook school shooting. Starting off as a Facebook group and now an organization with a chapter in every US state, they describe themselves as a "grassroots movement of Americans fighting for public safety measures that can protect people from gun violence."
Moms Demand Action would ideally like to see the following new / changes in US gun-ownership laws and / or funding for:
- Enhanced background checks for buyers under the age of 21
- Supporting State "red flag laws" - allowing the court to remove guns from people who pose a danger to themselves and / or to others
- Disarming people convicted of Domestic Abuse
- Clarifying who must run a background check for gun sales
- Cracking down on gun-trafficking
- Funding community violence intervention
- Investing in mental health services and access to these services
- Providing school safety funding