Meghan Markle & Prince Harry join the People's Vaccine Alliance
Meghan and Harry through their Archewell Foundation have invested in the People's Vaccine Alliance a coalition of over 90 organisations and networks working together for a people’s vaccine, available free of charge to everyone, everywhere.
A news release on the People's Alliance social media accounts confirms Meghan and Harry's involvement.
"Co-founded by Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Archewell Foundation is an impact-driven non-profit that’s purpose is to uplift and unite communities — local and global, online and offline — one act of compassion at a time."
The People's Vaccine Alliance is working to end what they term vaccine apartheid, that is the failure to make vaccines and COVID testing and treatment equally available to all people, accusing rich countries of hoarding vaccines and protecting the profits of their pharmaceutical corporations instead of saving lives.
The group state the negative impact of the actions of rich countries is that people in developing countries suffer the effects of the pandemic with minimal access to protection. The group calls out the profit focused actions of the big pharmaceutical companies who sell the vaccines, saying these companies "get to decide who lives and who dies."The People's Vaccine Alliance want the relevant elected official to address what they call their 5-demands:
- Urgently agree and implement a global roadmap to deliver the WHO goal of fully vaccinating 70% of people by mid-2022.
- Maximise the production of safe and effective vaccines and other COVID-19 products by suspending relevant intellectual property rules and ensuring the mandatory pooling of all COVID-19 related knowledge, data and technologies so that any nation can produce or buy sufficient and affordable doses of vaccines, treatments and tests.
- Invest public funding now in a rapid and massive increase in vaccine manufacturing as well as research and development (R&D) capacity to build a global distributed network capable of and governed to deliver affordable vaccines as global public goods to all nations.
- Ensure COVID-19 vaccines, treatments and tests are sold to governments and institutions at a price as close to the true cost as possible, provided free of charge to everyone, everywhere, and allocated according to need.
- Scale up sustainable investment in public health systems.