Prince Harry gives his input behind "The Great Resignation" trends in the workplace
In a Question and Answer interview with Fast Company Magazine during which Prince Harry answers questions about his role with mental health coaching company BetterUp , Harry puts forward his thoughts about the giant job resignations being seen in the U.S. and across the world.
In a recent article by Abby Vesoulis in TIME magazine, it was found that a record-breaking 4.3 million Americans quit their jobs in August 2021 across an array of industries, and at a time when jobs were plentiful. In trying to investigate what was behind this "great resignation" it was determined that there was no single factor driving this behaviour. A range of reasons were behind this behavioural trend including:
- Workers being fed up with low paid jobs and lack of career opportunities
- Lack of childcare or expensive childcare forcing many parents to stop working, or having to leave a job to care for other family members who are ill - especially during the pandemic
- Those working through the pandemic facing increased workload and unsafe work conditions with fear of exposure to COVID
- Workers are fed-up, burnt out, and unsatisfied with their current jobs
You can add to this list other factors such as:
- Changes in how jobs are being done (e.g., increased technology) and people thinking this is not what I signed up for,
- A realization that it is possible to live on less income than we have previously thought we could, so why 'kill' ourselves in a job we don't like for no increased personal benefit,
- People turning hobbies or side jobs into businesses, and
- People who were already close to retirement simply pulling forward their retirement date.